DELICIOUS & EASY COCONUT YOGHURT
Before I made the game changing switch to a plant based way of living, I was a lover of greek yogurt. Until I realised there was something even better that I could make at home & wasn't coming from an animal simply for my taste buds. Eeeek!
This easy, vegan, & gluten-free coconut yogurt with just 4 ingredients and 1 bowl is not just delicious but also good for your gut! Thick, rich, tangy, creamy & perfect for snacking!
- 3 Cans Coconut Milk (Ideally Organic)
- 2 Vegan-friendly probiotic capsules (make sure these are capsules, not pills)
- Maple Syrup or Agave Nectar
- Vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder
- Fruit or Fruit Compote (option)
- It's important to select a coconut milk that's creamy and smooth (not grainy or clumpy) to ensure that the yoghurt is creamy and smooth.
- Shake your coconut milk well. Then open and pour into a clean, dry glass jar or bowl. Sometimes the coconut milk is separated, so I take a whisk and get it completely smooth.
- Empty your probiotic capsules into the yoghurt and (important:) use a wooden spoon to stir, not metal as a metal spoon can react negatively with the probiotics. Stir until creamy and smooth, pushing the probiotic up against the side with your spoon to evenly disperse.
- Cover the mixture with cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band.
- Let the yoghurt activate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours (sometimes longer - 48 hour is my sweet spot for thickness and tang) in a warm place. The longer it rests, the tangier the yoghurt will become.
- That's it! Once the yoghurt has reached the right amount of tanginess and thickness for your liking (be sure to sample with a wooden spoon), cover securely with a lid and refrigerate until cold. Refrigerating will also thicken the yoghurt even more, almost to a Greek yoghurt consistency (depending on the brand of coconut milk you used)! For even thicker yoghurt, line a fine mesh strainer with two layers of cheesecloth and set over a mixing bowl. Pour in the yoghurt, then loosely cover with a lid or wrap and let rest in the refrigerator overnight or for 12+ hours. It should thicken up quite a bit more.
- You have coconut yoghurt, which can be enjoyed plain as I prefer it, with fruit, or even with fruit compote. You can also add a bit of sweetener or flavour at this point, such as maple syrup and/or vanilla extract.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to several days (mine kept for 7 days).
You can find this recipe & shop all the ingredients at our online store! Simply click the link below!