Bananas: they're nature's pick-me-up, personally, they're my favourite fruit. I mean, they're great for everything! Need to get a better sleep? Bananas. Need a snack? Bananas. More flavour with your cereal? Bananas. Feel like a smoothie? Bananas. This blog post will talk about the awesome benefits of bananas, its conventional and unconventional uses, and a couple of great banana recipes! We hope that this post will help you to 'go bananas' for bananas!
The natural sleeping pill.
Evidence suggests that bananas can help you get to sleep faster and provide a better sleep overall. Bananas contain potassium and magnesium, both of which, are natural muscle relaxants. Further, bananas are also rich in the amino acid L-typtophan which converts to serotonin (a relaxing neutransmitter) and melatonin (Melanie Haiken, 2010).
They can help you get gym ready.
Forget the pre-workout, replace them with bananas! Eating two bananas before a workout has been found to give you an extra energy kick and sustain your blood sugar throughout the workout. They can also protect against muscle cramps during your workout.
Big day? Bananas.
By regulating blood sugar, bananas also produce stress relieving relaxation. This is great if you have a big day coming up at work. It's also a great snack for the kids while they're doing assignments or studying for exams.
Aids in digestion. Why?
- High in fibre
- Helps to relieve stomach unlcers
- Bananas help restore electrolytes after diarrhoea
- Bananas act as a prebiotic
- They produce digestive enyzmes
- Whitens teeth (Rub the peel on your teeth for about two minutes)
- Treat insect bites, cuts and bruises (rich in potassium which helps heal)
- Polish leather and silver (rub banana peels on the surface of the leather/silver before buffing it with a cloth.
- Treats warts (again, thanks to our best friend potassium!)
- Removes splinters (ugh, we all hate splinters! Never fear, pressing banana peels onto splinters can help to remove it. How great is that!
Now that we've got some benefits and uses down. Let's share some yummy banana recipes!
Banana and Avocado Smoothie!
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups coconut water
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 12 ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- Banana slices and crushed almonds for topping (optional)
- In a blender, combine bananas and coconut water. Puree until smooth.
- Add following 6 ingredients, and continue to blend until smooth.
- Serve in frozen mug or glass. Top with banana and crushed nuts, if desired.
Banana Oat Loaf:
- 185ml milk
- 3/4 cup (165g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas, ripe, mashed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease and line a 20cm x 10cm loaf tin.
- Whisk milk, sugar and eggs together in a medium bowl. Fold in bananas, oats, flour, cinnamon and chia seeds.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 1 hour, or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Serve warm, cooled or toasted with butter
- Foodmatters, 2012