Eco Friendly Cleaning
As our lives become busier & things just seem a little bit more time consuming it’s easy to unknowingly gravitate towards the latest products that promise to make those house cleaning chores easier & quicker. Aside from the bright coloured bottles promising to be a quick fix. Have you ever thought about what’s actually inside that container?
Majority of cleaning products that are on the market are made up of harsh cocktails full of chemicals & all sorts of nasty ingredients. As many are labelled ‘irritants’ or ‘hazardous’. We are advised to wear gloves or surgical masks when using them and to only use the products in well-ventilated areas to avoid inhaling them. This alone proves to me that these general house hold cleaning products contain ingredients that nobody should be around.
I decided to do some research on the world of chemicals within our cleaning products. What I came across was crazy amounts of cocktails, quite harmful to our health. Studies show there are more than 84,000 chemicals in existence for commercial use with 1000 new chemicals being developed every year throughout the world.
Combining my philosophy of discovering a better way to live & a better way of looking after our environment, I stumbled across the brand ‘EcoStore’ & I immediately fell in love. Aside from the beautiful minimalist & clean branding, there values & story behind the brand are truly what I was chasing.
EcoStore believe that listing ingredients on all cleaning product labels in Australia & New Zealand should be mandatory. Believe it or not, the big dog companies aren’t even legally required to? Crazy right. They believe that this is crucial as it is particularly important for people who are trying to reduce toxic chemicals in our lives & for anyone with allergies. I couldn’t agree more!
EcoStore use trusted international resources from the EWG Cosmetic Database to assess the health and safety impact of every ingredient. They do comparative ingredient assessments of every product against leading brands to make sure they achieve significantly safer ratings for people’s health.
Not only do they have a grounded care for their consumer’s health. EcoStore also pride themselves in a 'kinder to the planet' philosophy. As Minimising packaging is the biggest ongoing challenge, Eco Store is reducing waste wherever they can, by using a mix of recycled and recyclable materials for their packaging.
They have the Carbon Capture Pack certification along with Enviro-Mark Diamond, CarboNZero & also certified Kosher. Only using Renewable Sugarcane Plastic & boasting in 100% recyclable which ultimately reduces their consumer’s carbon footprint. Yay!
"Rather than wait for conclusive scientific proof that such chemicals could harm us, we use the precautionary principle - if there’s ever any doubt about the safety of an ingredient we’ll find a safer one."
Here is a little breakdown of some of the other amazing things Eco store is doing:
- Laundry boxes = made from NZ PEFC board produced from sustainably managed locally grown forests in Whakatane.
- Auto dish tab boxes = 85% recycled (some virgin material is needed for strength).
- Ecostore bottles = HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) - code 2 for recycling.
- Screw-top plastic lids on some of our bulk containers = Polypropylene - code 5 for recycling. (Lids have to be tougher to withstand pressure needed to tighten them).
- We’re testing ways to use post-consumer recycled plastic in our bottles.
- Polypropylene labels printed on a clear polyester backing = fully recyclable and don't need to be removed for recycling.
- Clear backing and labels reduce the amount of printing inks and dyes required.
- Water-based adhesive is used to apply our labels.
- We offer refills and bulk sizes.
- Measuring scoops inside our laundry powder boxes = 100% post-consumer regrind plastic.
- We manufacture the only plastic trigger spray in NZ that contains no metal parts making it fully recyclable.
- Closed-loop recycling trial – two portable recycling stations are currently moving around sites in Northland, Auckland and Bay of Plenty to collect used ecostore bottles and directly recycle these to create new ecostore bottles or laundry scoops.
I set out to my local grocery store MarketOrganics to purchase some of these beautiful products & I totally fell in love! They were everything Id researched & more. Firstly, I have a great assurance that what I am doing is kinder to the planet & secondly knowing that I am protecting my health & my family member’s health makes me super excited. It almost makes me want to do more cleaning!
All of these products are available at our online store, you can click the link below to purchase & give these guys a try.